Monday, January 26, 2015

Change Peak 2015-01-26

10.21 miles and 3,660 feet of elevation gain.

A close in hike that I haven't been up this trail in several years.  We started up the rock climbers trail on the west side of the Change Creek bridge and followed the John Wayne trail until the start of the Change Creek trail, which is by the Hall Creek bridge.  You can also go up an old road trail that follows Hall Creek and then cross over Hall Creek to the trail on the west side of the bridge.  The Change Creek trail is in better shape than I remember and now has several signs.  Sometime we'll have to check out Hall's Point and J's Landing.  And then there is the sign right out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon (as one trip report noted) that reads "Short Cut".  You do want to take the short cut.

I was expecting snow at the higher elevations and maybe some cold temperatures, so I had snow boots and thick socks.  No snow and the weather was quite warm and sunny, bordering on hot.  Fortunately I had brought some sock liners, in case my feet got cold, and at least got rid of the heavy socks.  Rolling up my pants really helped on the initial climb up the sun soak side of the ridge.

Didn't see anyone until we were almost to the top and then ran into one person coming down.   I was surprised to see anyone, this isn't a popular peak.  I didn't even know it had a common name until researching trip reports.



Google Maps link

Base on the Change Creek bridge

Looks like someone recently "girdled" trees growing under the bridge. 

View of Change Creek from the bridge.

The Change Creek trail starts right behind Blue.

You can see the sign from the bridge.

The trail is very rocking until after you get to the top of the ridge.


View from the end of the ridge.
 


 Blue thinks I'm taking too long taking pictures.

I-90 corridor

Mount Washington from the start of the Great Wall.

At the end of an old logging road spur, a boot path heads up to the peak.

Some renegade work has been on the trail to the peak and a little trimming to afford some view. 


 Hall Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment